LMIAs and Contracts for In-Home Caregivers

The following links will take you to selected links in the website Economic and Social Development by the Government of Canada.


In-home Caregivers

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), families or private household employers can hire foreign caregivers to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

These families or private household employers will be able to hire foreign workers, on a live-in or live out basis, for 2 categories of in-home workers, which include:

  1. Caregivers for children under 18 years of age:

This category could include positions such as:

2. Caregivers for  elderly persons (65 years of age or over); or people with high medical needs:

  • elderly persons, 65 years of age or over; or
  • people with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness.

This category could include positions such as:


Labour Market Impact Assessment:

Employers who want to hire a temporary foreign worker (TFW) must submit the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application along with all the required supporting documentation to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada.

NOTE: In the Province of British Columbia, employers must register the foreign caregiver with the Domestic Registry at the BC Ministry of Labour (applicable only if the caregiver is living in the employers’ home).


Other important information:


This page was last updated: August 3rd., 2016

Direct source: Government of Canada: Hire a temporary foreign worker as an in-home caregiver