LMIAs and Contract for Lower-Skilled Workers

The following links will take you to selected links in the website Economic and Social Development by the Government of Canada


Lower-Skilled Occupations:

Lower-skilled occupations usually require, at most, secondary school education and/or on the job training. These occupations can be found in clerical; health; sales and service, transportation and equipment operators, primary industry and manufacturing sectors.

Under Canada’s  National Occupational Classification (NOC), lower-skilled occupations for temporary foreign workers are classified as:


Labour Market Impact Assessment:

Employers seeking to hire migrant workers for low-skilled occupations must first apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)  (form EMP5602). The form can be completed using the paper form (by mail or fax), or the LMIA website (online).

Employers seeking to hire migrant workers for occupations related to on-farm primary agriculture, specifically National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes 8251, 8252, 8253, 8254, 8256, 8431, 8432 and 8611, must apply using the paper LMIA Application Form (EMP5602).



Contract between employer and low-wage temporary foreign worker – ( Download PDF 54KB)


This page was last updated: August 3rd., 2016

Direct source:  Government of Canada – Hire a temporary foreign worker in a low-wage position Apply for a LMIA